The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have been defeated 3-1 by Perth Glory at NIB Stadium on Sunday night.
Without a point from their previous five matches, Glory were given the perfect opportunity to return to winning ways as Keanu Baccus was shown a straight red for giving a way a penalty which Diego Castro converted in the seventh minute.
Wanderers did respond through Oriol Riera's spot-kick, but the contest was over by half-time as Castro and Andy Keogh struck two goals in the space of three minutes.
The win moves Perth level on points with Wanderers, who sit outside the top six on goal difference.
STORY OF THE GAME
- GOAL AND RED CARD: Early blow for Western Sydney as Baccus is dismissed for pulling Chianese's shirt and Diego Castro converts the resultant spot-kick.
- CHANCE: Xavi Torres sees a header blocked on the line by Josh Risdon and Wanderers scramble it clear.
- GOAL! Riera is tripped by the onrushing Liam Reddy as he attempts to round the keeper. The striker dusts himself off and puts the 10 men level from the spot.
- CHANCE: Keogh rises high and meets Scott Neville's cross, but directs his header just wide.
- GOAL! Leave it to Castro! The maestro restores his side's advantage with a cracking free-kick.
- GOAL! Glory just about put it to bed before half-time as Keogh's belting finish makes it two in three minutes.
- CHANCE: The ball breaks kindly in the area for Chris Harold who should extend the advantage, only to hit his shot straight at Vedran Janjetovic.
- CHANCE: Jacob Italiano meets Harold's cut-back, but his finish is also tame.
Diego Castro, Perth Glory 7': 1-0
Chianese was pulled back by Baccus just as he shaped to shoot in the penalty area, sending Castro to the spot. The attacking midfielder clinically buries his attempt to Janjetovic's right.
Oriol Riera, Western Sydney Wanderers 17': 1-1
Riera broke through on goal and, in attempting to nudge the ball past Reddy, was tripped by the shot-stopper. He takes it upon himself to restore parity from the spot and does so with aplomb.
Diego Castro, Perth Glory 40': 2-1
From beyond 20 yards and on a slight angle, he caresses a curling free-kick beyond Janjetovic and inside the left post.
Andy Keogh, Perth Glory 43': 3-1
Castro brings down Neil Kilkenny's dinked pass and lays it into the path of Keogh, who lashes a first-time howitzer in off the underside of the bar.
This article was originally published at: www.a-league.com.au/news/glory-see-10-man-wanderers-snap-losing-streak