Opta Data takes a look at the Wanderers latest signing.
Bobo v Riera in the Sydney Derby? We like it already.
But what do the stats look like for Tony Popovic's new striker?
Opta Data takes a closer look at the 31-year-old’s La Liga career over the last four seasons after stints with Osasuna and Deportivo La Coruna.
SOLID GOAL RETURN
- Riera has made 102 appearances in La Liga since the start of the 2013/14 campaign, scoring 23 goals.
- His most prolific campaign came during his time at Osasuna in 2013/14, when he scored 13 goals from 37 appearances, averaging a goal every 232 minutes.
- Last season with Osasuna he scored four goals in 22 appearances.
- In 22 games last season Riera managed 38 shots at goal, at an accuracy of 47%. His most accurate campaign came in 2013/14 when 49% of his 78 shots were on target.
- When it comes creating chances for teammates, Riera averages just under 1 per-match through his La Liga career.
- His career shooting accuracy stands at 45%.
- The burly striker made 495 passes last term, at an accuracy of 63%.
- That mark was slightly down on both of the two previous seasons with Deportivo La Coruna when his accuracy was 65% from 252 and 545 passes respectively.
- Again the 2013/14 season was his best when it came to passing, making 1020 at an accuracy of 68%.
TACKLING AND FOUL RECORD
- In his 102 appearances in La Liga, he only made 65 tackles, although his 22 in as many appearances last season was easily his best return on average.
- Throughout his time in La Liga, Riera won 148 fouls, conceding 156 in the process. From his 22 matches last season, he was able to win 34 fouls for his side but gave away 41.
- The only season where he won more fouls than he conceded was in 2013/14 (won 68, conceded 60).
This article was originally published at: www.a-league.com.au/article/transfer-insider-who-is-wanderers-new-marquee-oriol-riera/1m9fjcn8zzaki1gl3nqttddp83