Melbourne City have defeated the Western Sydney Wanderers 3-0 at AAMI Park on Saturday night.
The win pushes City into third, two points ahead of Victory who play on Sunday in Perth.
For Wanderers, they are now hanging onto sixth and have Brisbane Roar breathing down their necks in seventh ahead of their clash in Wellington on Sunday.
STORY OF THE GAME
- CHANCES GALORE FOR CITY Daniel Arzani, Bruno Fornaroli and Dario Vidosic caused WSW endless problems with chances galore as City dominated the game.
- WSW HIT CROSSBAR The Spaniards combine: Cejudo crosses and Riera hits the bar with a header.
- GOAL! Fornaroli opens the scoring on 42 mins.
- HALF TIME 1-0 City deserve their lead almost completely dominating Wanderers.
- GOAL! Jakobsen powers home a header from Brattan's short corner on 57 mins.
- GOAL! Fornaroli turns provider and Stefan Mauk makes it 3-0 after 67 mins.
Fornaroli City 42' 1-0
Atkinson feeds Arzani and his clipped cross deflected into the path of the Uruguayan who finished inside the six-yard box.
Jakobsen City 58' 2-0
Jakobsen heads home the short corner that was delivered into the six-yard box by Brattan.
Mauk City 67' 3-0
Fornaroli with a sumptuous backheel into the path of Mauk, who steadies and drives the ball into the left corner.
This article was originally published at: www.a-league.com.au/news/melbourne-city-crush-wanderers-boost-hopes-finishing-third