New Western Sydney Wanderers coach Josep Gombau enjoyed a successful spell in the Hyundai A-League during his two-year stint with Adelaide United.
The Spaniard will hope to achieve even greater success with the Wanderers after being handed the reins on Wednesday to succeed Tony Popovic.
His first game in charge will be the Round 6 clash with Melbourne City and many believe he could be the man to help deliver the club their first Hyundai A-League championship.
Here’s some key stats on the passionate new Wanderers boss.
- He was in charge of Adelaide for 57 Hyundai A-League games, winning 25 of those (losing 20) for a 43.9% winning rate.
- Only John Kosmina (52%) enjoyed a greater winning percentage as an Adelaide United coach.
- The Reds scored 95 goals in those 57 games at an average of 1.67 goals per game, their most ever under any manager in the competition.
- Gombau most enjoys coaching against Sydney FC, winning five and losing just one of eight matches against the Sky Blues.
- Conversely, his worst record comes against Melbourne Victory, failing to pick up a win against the Big V in six matches.
- Of the five current coaches in the Hyundai A-League he has faced before, Gombau’s best record is against Kenny Lowe. Gombau has never been beaten by a Lowe-coached Glory, winning three and drawing two of the five head-to-head battles.
- Kevin Muscat is the man who has seemed to get the better of the Spaniard regularly. In five previous meetings between the pair, Muscat has enjoyed three wins, with two games drawn.
- Gombau also remains undefeated as a coach in the Westfield FFA Cup. He won all five matches in charge of the Reds on their way to the 2014 win, scoring an average of two goals per game.
This article was originally by: www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/josep-gombau-all-you-need-know-about-new-wanderers-boss