A slick Newcastle Jets have defeated the Western Sydney Wanderers after a 4-0 win at McDonald Jones Stadium on Friday night.
The Jets were outstanding throughout, playing with pace, enthusiasm and skill while converting their chances clinically.
STORY OF THE GAME
- JETS IN CONTROL: The home side pressed incessantly to dominate WSW in the opening 10 mins. They also had an offside goal.
- GOAL: A deserved opener on 11 mins to Johnny Koutroumbis of Jets. 1-0
- POST HIT: Jets' Ugarkovic hits the post with a long-distance strike on 28 mins.
- JETS CHANCES: Vujica bursting into the box hits his low shot at the keeper. Champness picking up a loose clearance but can't hurt WSW.
- HALF-TIME: 1-0 The Jets were irresistible: great work rate, enthusiasm and always willing to play forward. It should've been more than 1-0.
- GOAL! Jason Hoffman makes it 2-0 to the hosts just on the hour mark.
- WSW CHANCE: Riera going so close placing his low shot past the post around the hour mark.
- JETS DOUBLE CHANCE: Champness and Vujica make Janjetovic work hard to keep them out after 67 mins.
- GOAL! Kantarovski with a goal off a corner to make it 3-0 after 69 mins.
- GOAL: Ugarkovic makes it 4-0 after 84 minutes.
- GREAT CHANCE: Petratos and Nabbout combine to almost give Mario Shabow a fifth goal for the Jets after 85 minutes.
Koutroumbis Jets1-0, 11'
The youngster found the ball on the edge of the box before guiding a low shot past Janjetovic's right hand.
Hoffman Jets 2-0, 60'
The Jets with the flick-on header playing their way through the WSW defence before Hoffman blasted home. A goal of simplicity and style.
Kantarovski Jets 3-0, 68'
"Kanta" with the header from a corner getting in front of the keeper to guide home the third.
Ugarkovic Jets 4-0, 84'
Petratos with the clever back-heel to set up Ugarkovic in the box, and the midfielder coolly curled past the keeper.
This article was originally published at: www.a-league.com.au/news/dazzling-newcastle-jets-thrash-wanderers-finals-football-looms-merricks-men