Sydney FC stormed back from a goal down to defeat Western Sydney Wanderers 3-1 at a drenched Allianz Stadium on Sunday night.
In the final Sydney Derby before Allianz is knocked down, a relentless Sky Blues defeated the Wanderers with a relentless display to maintain their derby dominance over the red and black.
The Wanderers profited from a blunder by Sydney FC keeper Andrew Redmayne to take an early lead.
But two goals from Polish star Adrian Mierzejewski and a third from Bobo sealed Sydney's comeback win.
STORY OF THE GAME
- SKY BLUES GO CLOSE Janjetovic down low with a smart save to keep out Mierzejewski after 7 mins.
- WSW GOAL ! Redmayne's howler allows Riera with a simple tap-in. Wanderers with the lead on 9 mins.
- WSW GO CLOSE Ikonomidis outmuscles the FC defence but heads just wide. Great cross from Llorente.
- LLORENTE POLE-AXED Mierzejewski barrels into the Spaniard. The Sydney FC man goes into the book.
- SYDNEY FC GETTING CLOSE The Sky Blues slowly taking control, particularly in midfield.
- SYDNEY FC GOAL! Mierzejewski magic as the Sky Blues equalise from a set piece on 44 mins.
- HALF TIME 1-1 WSW with the early lead but the relentless Sky Blues forced their way back in. The hosts with the momentum going into the break.
- SYDNEY FC GOAL! Mierzejewski again! It's 2-1
- DOUBLE SUB FOR WSW Cejudo and Santa on the park just after the hour mark.
- SYDNEY FC GOAL! Bobo guides the ball home. It's 3-1 on 73 mins.
- SYDNEY FC TIRING Understandable given the conditions and the fact they flew in two days ago after their midweek ACL clash in Shanghai.
- LLORENTE CLOSE The Spaniard bursts through but Redmayne blocks as we move into stoppage time.
Riera WSW 0-1, 9'
Llorente down the left channel cuts the ball back across the back before Redmayne dives to clear. Managing only to parry the ball in front of him, Riera is on hand to tuck the ball neatly into the bottom left corner.
Mierzejewski Sydney FC 1-1, 44'
Mierzejewski weighing up the options and the Pole lifts the ball cleanly over the tightly packed Wanderers wall off the crossbar and into the bottom of the net.
Mierzejewski Sydney FC 2-1, 56'
Ninkovic fires the ball into the box from a wide position. Wanderers fail to clear and the loose ball is found by Simon who slips it to the Pole and he fires a low shot into the net. Cue another "muscles" celebration.
Bobo Sydney FC 3-1, 73'
Ninkovic burst through and laid off an exquisite assist for Bobo who curled a low ball past Janjetovic.
This article was originally published at: www.a-league.com.au/news/mierzejewski-magic-helps-sydney-fc-seal-comeback-derby-victory