Western Sydney Wanderers thumped Wellington Phoenix 4-0 on Sunday night in a rescheduled clash at ANZ Stadium.
New Wanderers' signing Chris Ikonomidis put in a man of the match performance on the right wing.
STORY OF THE GAME
- GOAL TO WSW Riera continues his hot streak with a headed goal. 1-0 after just six mins.
- INJURY TO PHOENIX Mullen off with a leg injury. Scott Galloway his replacement.
- WSW IN CONTROL Phoenix unable to get control of this contest. The hosts on top.
- RIERA GOES CLOSE The Spaniard with another chance but heads over with five mins left in the half.
- ITALIANO SAVES Llorente with a low shot that the Phoenix keeper stops in front of his post.
- HUGE MISS! Kaluderovic free at the far post from a Phoenix corner and he screws it wide. What a miss.
- HALF TIME 1-0 WSW in control but it should be 1-1. Phoenix butchering a golden chance right on H/T.
- PHOENIX CLOSE Burns feeds Kaluderovic and he almost atones for his miss, guiding his header wide.
- CHANCES TO BOTH SIDES Ikonimidis with the best chance with Dylan Fox clearing off the line after 54 mins. Game really opening up
- WSW GOAL Michael Thwaite with a rare goal and it's 2-0 to the home side.
- WSW GOAL Chris Ikonomidis scores a deserved goal. 3-0.
- SANTALAB ON The club legend subbed on for WSW and he has an instant impact helping WSW to another goal.
- WSW GOAL Sotirio makes it 4-0. Santalab with the shot deflected for the winger who finishes off Italiano's parry.
Riera WSW 1-0, 6'
Ikonomidis battles to keep possession inside the box, the ball spills to Risdon and his curling cross is met by the Spaniard who heads back across the goal and over Italiano.
Thwaite WSW 2-0, 64'
Carrusca sends the corner in towards Michael Thwaite who meets it with a header that makes great connection and Italiano could not get near it
Ikonimidis WSW 3-0, 72'
Bridge puts it through for Ikonomidis with a delightful backheel and he slides the shot past Italiano to score a well-deserved goal.
Sotirio WSW 4-0, 82'
Santalab rolls his defender and his firmly struck shot is parried into the path of Sotirio who buries it past Italiano.
This article was originally published at: www.a-league.com.au/news/wanderers-put-four-past-phoenix-ikonomidis-stars